Why do cats purr
Cats purr for several reasons, and contentment is only one of them. 🐈
- Happiness and relaxation: A cat may purr while being stroked, cuddling, or resting comfortably.
- Communication: Kittens purr to communicate with their mothers, and adult cats can use purring to signal friendliness or ask for attention.
- Self-soothing: Cats sometimes purr when they are frightened, stressed, in pain, or at the veterinarian. It may help them calm themselves.
- Healing: Purring produces low-frequency vibrations. Researchers have suggested these vibrations may support bone and tissue health, although the exact biological effects are still being studied.
- Getting something they want: Some cats develop a distinctive, more urgent purr when they want food, affection, or to be let somewhere.
So a purring cat isn't necessarily saying “I'm happy.” It's more like a versatile feline signal: “I'm comfortable,” “pay attention to me,” or sometimes “I'm stressed and trying to cope.”
The rest of the body language—ears, eyes, tail, posture, and situation—helps you figure out which one it means.
Comments
Post a Comment