How to deal with criticism

 Dealing with criticism well means learning to separate useful information from someone else's emotion, bias, or desire to control you.

1. Don't react immediately

When criticism hits, pause. Your first emotional reaction isn't necessarily an accurate assessment of what was said.

Ask yourself:

  • What exactly did they criticize?
  • Is there a specific behavior or result they're pointing to?
  • Am I reacting because it's painful, or because it's actually unfair?

2. Separate the message from the delivery

Someone can communicate a valid criticism badly.

For example:

“Your work was late, and you need to manage your time better.”

That contains potentially useful information.

“You're completely useless. You never do anything right.”

That's an attack, not constructive feedback.

You can learn from the first without accepting the second.

3. Look for the factual part

Try turning vague criticism into something measurable.

Instead of:

“You're lazy.”

Ask:

“What specifically did I do that made you think that?”

Instead of:

“Your writing is terrible.”

Ask:

“Which parts need improvement?”

Specific criticism is much easier to evaluate.

4. Decide whether the person is credible

Consider:

Their expertise: Do they actually know what they're talking about?

Their motives: Are they trying to help, or hurt/control you?

Their pattern: Do they give reasonable feedback, or criticize everything you do?

Their standards: Would you consider their behavior and judgment reliable?

Not every opinion deserves equal weight.

5. Accept what is true

You don't have to defend yourself simply because criticism feels uncomfortable.

You can say:

“You're right. I could have handled that better.”

That's not weakness. It's intellectual honesty.

Then make the adjustment and move on.

6. Reject what isn't true

You can also say:

“I understand that's how you see it, but I don't agree.”

You don't need to prove yourself endlessly.

Disagreement isn't failure.

7. Don't turn criticism into an identity

There's a huge difference between:

“I made a mistake.”

and:

“I am a failure.”

The first is information. The second is a judgment about your entire identity.

Criticism should ideally tell you what to change, not who you are.

8. Watch for criticism used as control

Be particularly cautious when someone:

  • criticizes your appearance constantly
  • mocks your intelligence
  • attacks your character instead of discussing behavior
  • moves the goalposts whenever you improve
  • humiliates you publicly
  • uses “I'm only being honest” to justify cruelty
  • becomes angry when you disagree
  • makes you feel that nothing you do is ever good enough

That's very different from healthy feedback.

A simple mental formula

Listen → Pause → Extract the facts → Evaluate the source → Accept or reject → Adjust if necessary → Move on.

The goal isn't to become someone who never gets criticized. It's to become someone who can hear criticism without automatically believing it, fearing it, or being controlled by it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon and basil drizzle cake & a herby sorbet

Raisin cake

How to protect yourself and respond to hostile people effectively