How to buy an airfryer

 If you're buying your first air fryer, I’d keep it very simple. The marketing can make them look much more complicated than they are.

1. Decide the size first

For 1–2 people, look at roughly 3–4 L.
For 3–4 people, 5–6 L is a better sweet spot.
For larger households, consider 7–8+ L or dual baskets.

For you, I would lean toward 4–5 L unless you regularly cook large quantities.

2. Get a basket model

For a first air fryer, I'd choose the classic pull-out basket rather than a huge oven-style model.

It's particularly good for:

  • potatoes and fries
  • chicken
  • fish
  • vegetables
  • reheating food
  • samboussek
  • falafel
  • kebbeh
  • small baked items

A basket also makes it easy to shake the food during cooking.

3. Don't obsess over presets

You don't need 15 programs, Wi-Fi, an app, or a touchscreen.

What matters much more is:

Basket surface area + heating power + airflow. Those have a bigger effect on crispiness than the number of buttons on the machine.

4. Check the wattage carefully in Lebanon

This is especially important in Lebanon because of generator/electricity limitations.

For a 4–5 L machine, around 1,400–1,500 W is a sensible target. Higher-wattage models can cook faster, but you need to make sure your electrical setup can comfortably handle them.

If you have a 5-amp generator line, I'd be particularly careful about buying a 1,700–1,800 W model.

5. Choose a brand with local support

I'd rather buy a simple Philips or Tefal with a local warranty than an impressive-looking unknown brand that is impossible to repair or replace.

A current Lebanon buying guide specifically highlights Philips and Tefal for their established local support, while recommending that buyers be more careful about warranty/returns with brands such as Ninja and Cosori.

My ideal specification for you

I'd search for:

4–5 L • basket style • ~1,400–1,500 W • adjustable temperature • removable washable basket • established brand • local warranty

And I'd avoid paying extra just for:

  • Wi-Fi
  • dozens of presets
  • fancy touchscreen
  • unnecessary accessories
  • enormous 10–12 L capacity

The biggest mistake is buying something too small and then discovering that you have to cook everything in three batches. A wider basket is often more useful than a deeper basket because food crisps better when it can sit in a relatively even layer. 

Comments