How to be better at networking

 Networking is less about being charismatic and more about becoming someone people remember, trust, and are happy to hear from again.

If you're naturally introverted, you don't need to turn yourself into a highly social person. In fact, a quieter networking style can be very effective.

1. Stop thinking “I need to network”

Think:

“I want to build a small ecosystem of interesting, useful relationships.”

You don't need 500 contacts. You might need 10–30 good professional relationships.

2. Have a clear “what I do” sentence

People need to understand you quickly.

For example:

“I'm a translator and writer, and I'm currently developing work around multilingual content, food, and digital publishing.”

Or, if you're exploring several directions:

“I'm a translator by training, but I'm a multipotentialite—I work across languages, writing, research, and creative projects.”

The goal isn't to explain your entire life. It's to give people an opening for conversation.

3. Ask better questions

Instead of:

“So, what do you do?”

Try:

  • “How did you get into that?”
  • “What are you working on these days?”
  • “What part of your work do you enjoy most?”
  • “What are you learning at the moment?”
  • “How did you end up in this field?”
  • “What's changing in your industry?”

People generally remember someone who was genuinely interested in them.

4. Don't immediately ask for something

A weak networking interaction is:

Meet → “Can you give me a job/client/referral?”

A stronger one is:

Meet → conversation → follow-up → relationship → eventually collaboration.

You can share something useful, introduce two people, recommend an article, comment intelligently on someone's work, or simply check in.

5. Become recognizable for something

This is especially powerful for a multipotentialite.

You don't have to choose one identity forever, but people should have a reason to remember you.

For example:

“Oh yes, Rita—the translator who is really into languages and food.”

Or:

“Rita does interesting things with multilingual content.”

Your distinctiveness becomes an asset when people can associate you with a few memorable themes.

6. Network through your interests

You may actually find this easier than conventional “business networking.”

Instead of forcing yourself into generic networking events, look for communities around:

  • translation
  • languages
  • publishing
  • writing
  • food
  • photography
  • art
  • faith
  • entrepreneurship
  • digital creators
  • Lebanon's creative community

You already have many potential conversational bridges.

7. Use the internet strategically

You don't have to go out constantly.

A surprisingly effective routine is:

3 meaningful interactions per week.

For example:

  • leave a thoughtful comment on someone's work
  • respond to a LinkedIn post
  • email someone whose work interests you
  • send an article to someone who would appreciate it
  • reconnect with an old professional contact
  • participate in a relevant online community

After a few months, that's dozens of relationship-building interactions without becoming socially exhausted.

8. Follow up quickly

This is where many people fail.

If you meet someone interesting, send a short message within a few days:

“It was great talking with you about ___ yesterday. I especially liked your point about ___. I'd love to stay in touch.”

You don't need a sales pitch.

9. Keep a simple relationship database

You can literally use a spreadsheet:

PersonFieldWhere we metInterestsLast contactPossible connection
APublishingOnlineFood writingSept 2026Article collaboration
BTranslationUniversityFrench/ArabicAug 2026Translation project
CPhotographyInstagramArchitectureSept 2026Creative project

This prevents networking from becoming a vague mental burden.

10. Give before asking

This doesn't mean becoming everyone's unpaid helper.

It means developing a reputation for being useful and generous without being exploitable.

Examples:

“I thought you'd find this article interesting.”

“I know someone who might be useful for that.”

“I saw your project and had one idea that might help.”

That creates goodwill without you constantly asking people for favors.

11. Learn to exit conversations

You don't need to stay trapped in a conversation because you're afraid of seeming rude.

Try:

“I've really enjoyed talking with you. I'm going to grab a coffee, but I'd love to stay in touch.”

Simple. Polite. Done.

12. Don't confuse networking with socializing

This is probably the biggest distinction.

Socializing:
“I need to spend lots of time with people.”

Networking:
“I need to establish and maintain meaningful professional relationships.”

You can be introverted, selective, private, and still be excellent at networking.

A good networking system for you

I'd make it very small:

Every week

  • 1 new person
  • 2 existing contacts
  • 1 useful contribution
  • 1 follow-up

That's it.

Over a year, that could produce roughly 50 new contacts + 100+ relationship-maintenance interactions, without turning your life into nonstop social activity.

And one important rule: don't network indiscriminately. Look for people who are competent, curious, respectful, reciprocal, and interesting. Networking isn't collecting humans; it's building a network you actually want to belong to.

Comments