Comparison is a double trap

 Comparison is a double trap.

You can compare yourself upward and feel inadequate:

“They’re ahead of me. I’m behind.”

Or compare yourself downward and feel superior:

“At least I’m doing better than them.”

Either way, your attention leaves your own life.

A healthier question is:

“Am I becoming more myself than I was yesterday?”

Your life isn't a competition, and other people's timelines aren't measuring sticks. Someone else's success doesn't diminish yours, and someone else's failure doesn't increase yours.

The really freeing move is to compare you with you:

  • What did I learn?
  • What did I create?
  • What became easier?
  • What am I brave enough to try now?
  • What direction am I moving in?

That kind of comparison can actually be useful—because it gives you information without turning your life into a scoreboard.

Comparison with others says: “Where do I rank?”
Comparison with your past self says: “Where am I going?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon and basil drizzle cake & a herby sorbet

Raisin cake

Recipe for Boston Cream Pie